Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

dBA Noise Levels?

Anyone ever measure their cabin noise level? I was recently in a Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 rental and was a bit shocked how much quieter that little guy was than my '22 D5. I'm thinking in part it's the 21" Pirelli Scorpion tires my R-Dynamic HSE came with. I wanted 20" but could no longer get the black gloss wheels in that size at the time.

I'm usually in the mid to high 60's dBA at 55 MPH when using an old Radio Shack meter I have.

One reason I mention this is I test drove a Rivian R1S a while ago and while the Rivian might have been a little quieter in the cabin, there was a fair amount of wind noise and the constant clicking and hissing of its air suspension that was driving me nuts.

FWIW there's pair of brothers on YouTube, under "Car Confections" that measure noise levels with every car they review. Unfortunately, though, I'm quite sure the sub $20 USD sound level meter they use is not calibrated at all, their numbers seem way off and too low. but at least they're consistent within their own universe of testing.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum